Stream of Consciousness 1.30.24
Interestingly, a topic I discussed in last weeks topic of interest presentation appeared in a theory reading about general relationships made between nature and architecture overtime, the Origin of our Ideas of the Sublime and the Beautiful (1757, Edmund Burke). It spoke of the origins of the sublime, and how creation of effects expressed through architecture were intended to produce specific sensations. Additionally, it was the role of the architect to do so in the way natural objects can elicit the same responses. It made me think about how initially, all three of my topics of interest, skyscraper identity, monumental architecture, and more or less the everyday megastructures of recent and modern urban infrastructure, too elicit similar feelings that one may feel from a natural object. Of course, I think Burke is referencing something sublime like a mountain range, which is actually one thought I had when I was thinking about finding local identities in skyscrapers. More specifically how perception of skylines, and even better skyscrapers at the ideal viewing distance to where they feel like a sculpture on a large scale can take your breath away like a mountain range.
I'd like to read the Origin of our Ideas of the Sublime and the Beautiful at some point.
I had more thoughts about the concept of identity and maybe starting to think of it like a research question. Driving to school I've noticed several license plates that either have a skyline of a city from Iowa, presumably Des Moines, and Illinois, being Chicago. Ironically, Chicago is not the capital of Illinois, but that kind of helps my point that Chicago, and more so it's landmark skyscrapers, are what people can identify with within the state and even to those who live outside of Illinois.
So I'm wondering if there's something quantifiable in media, government paraphernalia, or literature to show the impact of skyscrapers in everyday life. Maybe I could make some skyscraper taxonomy that similarly, like the example I found in my theory reading, I could make to define the parts of tall buildings that really get people going. I think there's also value to approaching this topic from a historic perspective.
I guess that leaves why it's still an important topic, but maybe that can be reduced to the architect's responsibility to produce something worthy of being "relic" architecture. In a similar fashion to what Louis Kahn has said about buildings constructed of concrete, they look like and are supposed to last forever.
Maybe I can research to painters that dabbled in the sublime and could even begin to do a study comparing paintings of the naturalistic sublime to contemporary precedent of cities.
Additionally, on the other topic of "authentically American spaces", I was wondering in class if there was a way to make these interstates in cities more of an experience to drivers. Sitting in traffic can be dreadfully boring, could there be anything to look at like landscaping or something visually stimulating? Of course there's potential for that to be distracting while driving and would take more thought. Just as an idea of embracing a staple of American culture, but redefining what it means to use it.
Additionally, this idea of making well designed spaces that weren't meant to be well designed, I think if possible I'd want to take that kind of project in the direction of photography. I think there's even potential for the skyscraper project to head in that direction as well. I think unless it makes sense, I don't want to write too much for projects that are seemingly visual by nature.
Some of these from Corgan's Headquarters in Dallas, and from an office they were working on partnered with Kengo Kuma
The American narrative would be an interesting topic to cover. I also feel like it would be a therapeutic exercise in finding joy in the simplicity. It would certainly make me feel more grateful about the "mundane."
ReplyDeleteSomething interesting about Burkes writing are his mentions of how fear and obscurity are aspects that go hand in hand with reverence and sublimity. I think this applies perfectly to your theory about the skyscrapers, mainly because their inaccessibility makes them all the more mysterious and then more sculptural (in my opinion). So essentially, I think you could use the inaccessibility of skyscrapers to enhance how they are "fear inducing" / obscure and thus more of a monument to the general public, and an identity for cities.
ReplyDeleteI think this applies to your other idea of looking at beauty in the mundane. Being underneath a highway isn't the sort of place the general public hangs out a lot, it is usually a fleeting moment while you are in your car and probably focused more on the road and cars than the structure. A collection of images in places we don't normally see for a long time (like the underside of highways) would be a cool thing to bring to light.
Hi, Will!
ReplyDeleteFor some quantifiable data, you could conduct a survey showing residents of a certain town (let's say Chicago) one Chicago skyscraper monument and one Chicago non-skyscraper monument, seeing which one they identify with more and why.
I find it interesting how two of your main interests are in opposite planes. One interest (the interstate system) is a means of traveling horizontally, while your other interest (the skyscraper) is a means of traveling vertically. You spoke about the architect's responsibility to produce something worthy of being a "relic" for others to admire. I guess what I'm wondering is what makes skyscrapers "relics?" Why are the vertical buildings "relics?" Why can't the interstate be a "relic?" It takes up a much larger footprint then skyscrapers do. All this to say that I appreciate your idea to improve the design and appeal of the interstate.
- Katie
I always love seeing your photos! You mention not wanting to write for a topic that is visual by nature, I believe that to be a very strong feature of whatever you decide to focus in on. I would love to see a album or gallery as a support to your final project!
ReplyDeleteI wonder what could be quantifiable in terms of how much impact a Skyscraper/s has... The people that physically interact with it? The amount of people in that city. What it symbolizes in terms of economics. etc. A very difficult metric to quantify. Good Luck!