03.12.24
I think I'm stuck. Or that means I've found a topic to get into. I've still been looking at the intersection of infrastructure and architecture for the past week, and to be honest, I haven't spent as much time on it as I'd like cause of studio.
I have looked at,
Jerkovic-Babovic, Bojana, Ivana Rakonjac, and Danilo Furundzic. 2020. “Fluid Spaces in a Contemporary Urban Context: Questioning the Boundary between Architecture and Infrastructure.” Spatium, no. 43: 35–43. https://doi.org/10.2298/SPAT2043035J.
though, and it gave me some insight on how to approach my inquiry in a way that can make it more dynamic.
Dissolving spatial boundaries between bridges, highways, utilities, and other transitory spaces, and the spaces that people typically occupy through clever use of architectural design can help combine these spaces into coherent wholes. I don't know if this is typical or the goal of the capstone, but as of now it essentially feels like I'm designing my own studio project? I don't think that really counts as a method, but again getting into case study, developing my idea at a specific point, or few specific points where there are identifiable issues of movement, or misused space that I can theoretically fix I think is my main mindset at the moment on how to study my topic.
I guess my presentation for Friday will involve aspects like motivation, impact, audience, precedent studies I've found or something going for a similar outcome that I'm expecting, context to making this a NWA issue and or showing how to make a deployable strategy for multiple sites.
Although, maybe the fact that I can't find anything on mixed-use infrastructure means I'm not looking in the right place, not getting in depth enough into my searches, or it's not really something that has been super looked into, which there's no way. I also though am currently having trouble finding the right way to search this topic, and I feel like I almost have to figure out of this is a viable capstone before I spend too much time investigating, because instead of understanding mixed-use infrastructure as a concept, I feel like I'm really just having to investigate all of the parts that could make it a real concept.
So I'm not entirely sure what my presentation will look like on Thursday, but I will have something.
Bridge Pavilion, Zaha Hadid, 2008
This was an example in the article I found about blurring the space of infrastructural units to let people inhabit space, but provide the function needed for the object/building to still work as traditionally intended.
Hi Will,
ReplyDeleteI think designing several ways for under-utilized infastructure would count as a method, though you might be limited with time. I'm not sure how "backed by research" your hypotheticals would need to be, but I know my inquiry has changed drastically based on what existing research that I could find.
Also, I can't remember why you thought about focusing on NWA (among others), but I think if you're focusing on highways, Dallas would be cool (if not funny), with all of their highways. Or it stuck with me that you were driving through Texas when you thought up the idea, or basically megastructures whose sole purpose is to create a path for vehicles. (Seems wasteful to me.) I thought that was the beginning of such a strong narrative, but let me know what you think.
Just spitballs,
Rylee