04.02.24 Ughhhh
Hmm...
After my presentation, I feel like I need to reconsider everything I've thought about.
The different directions Ken and Noah were talking about didn't necessarily grab me in any specific way. Rather I just started to think about how I need to reframe my capstone idea. I think part of went wrong in my presentation is that I didn't have a solid method down to express the end product of my idea concerning hybridized infrastructures.
If anything, I think the main issue I have with somethings, (not all of them!), that they suggested, is that I don't want to do anything that has been or is currently being researched for other capstones. I know they said I could maybe look at the greenway, but I'm not interested in totally rehashing something as I wouldn't be interested in doing something that's been completely done before. Just doesn't make it fun for me/make me care a lot about it. Very negative attitude about I think my reaction to that will help me focus what I want to work on.
I also wonder if some of the topics I looked at over break that I added to my presentation might've not been explained the way I intended. Somethings like slow infrastructure and telemediatization weren't necessarily things I would like to implement into my capstone, but things that are beginning to be understood that back up the argument for a new kind of dwelling/city center/space.
I think this really is something I'm more interested in talking about in person with one of the professors. I just need to talk it out!
I guess my main issue is I'm still trying to understand what my research could be. If I'm attempting to make a new kind of typology for a social/infrastructural issue, can I have visualizations of a future that I'd essentially create with a written component?
As unacademic as this sounds, I just want to make something intellectually stimulating and cool looking. In the simplest terms.
Also, for the sake of trying to immediately solve the problem of how I'm going to fix my problem, I haven't thought too hard about my presentation since Thursday to give my self a thinking break hoping it'll make getting back into my idea and coming up with ideas more fluidly.
Hi Will,
ReplyDeleteFeeling like you have to do something unique is definitely something I can understand. I would keep focusing on what YOU are most interested in, and if you make that your capstone, it WILL be stimulating and cool and never a rehash. Your interest and unique perspective will shine through. Don't discount similar or relevant projects - instead of (or as well as :P) limiting what you can do, can't they propel you forward?
When it comes down to specifics, I'm not sure I can offer much of any insight. The leftovers are definitely full of opportunities and challenges. I remember how your week 2 presentation featured overpasses ("beauty of the mundane?"), skateparks under overpasses have been on my radar recently, and the Bentway in Toronto is also under an elevated roadway. Maybe you've already looked at the intersection of infrastructure and public space, but I find it very interesting and promising.
-Raphael
Hi, Will!
ReplyDeleteI understand wanting your topic/capstone to be unique. You are dealing with a lot of cool ideas/backgrounds that have many different potential directions. Talking to a professor will help. You could also write down all your potential topic ideas from your presentation and eliminate what you aren't as interested in/what's been done before until you've narrowed everything down. Or you could ask someone to eliminate a topic and see whether or not you're okay with which one they remove. Personally, I think creating a method of infill for the unused spaces is super cool, but that might not be the direction you want to go. Good luck!
-Katie