Ok wait 04.09.24

Ok I was going to type this up after I sent a new plan to Brian, but I have left my notes at school today so I'm going to free style what I was going to send to Brian.


My newest updated question is close to:


What ways, if, have publicly funded infrastructures through hybridizing residual space within them to foster sense of community and place.


That's very rough. It almost doesn't sound right and I may update that by Thursday.

My plan, however, that I think I'd be able to collect data through case study or maybe even observation and travel, to essentially see if these places work, don't work, if they can't even get off the ground because of policy and essentially compile this into traditional scholarship.

I think this information ultimately could be synthesized into a very SMALL design project. I know that could be asking a lot of myself in a semester, but I think by studying local policy, gathering strategies that have worked, seeing strategies that have yet to work, and adapt those to local context based problems, I think I could make something interesting.

My main focuses are 

- Publicly funded infrastructures

- Residual space usage

- A local site within the 49 corridor, (with potential to connect to the greenway) OR maybe that's the entire point. (At this point though it doesn't even have to be local, but it may be best to do it here for easy site access.

- I'm so sure there's something else too

HOWEVER,

I was wondering if it would make sense to make a few quickly speculative designs/solutions and maybe even survey a broad range of people. Maybe a reason some of these things don't get built is because no one is actually interested in them. 

I think there could be value in even making a project idea so awful and anti-human, maybe just car accessible, to see public value in that. Just creating something "familiar" and most definitely apart of the problem to call attention value systems of people at this current moment in time. That could maybe even be its own project and surveying people across different cities/contexts.

But I really do think compiling a data base of these projects, proposed, failed, or successful, can provide an insight to how our future communities could behave and look like. I think there's value in that and taking some of these principles learned and inputting them into a small speculative design (not entirely thought out to the tiniest detail) could be an interesting way to show the data I've collected in a more physical way. 

If anything, it reminds me of Daniel Barker's project where he studied Mies' collages and then interpreted them in his own way but textually provided understanding in Mies' work.

But depending on what I wrote on my notes I left at school, some of this may change/be added to for further clarification of my goals. 



Comments

  1. Hi Will,
    I've seen you've put a lot of thought and effort into shaping your inquiries into a question and I think that shows, through your presentation and the way your talk about your project. Speaking on methods, I think there could be great value in not only compiling a data base, as you mentioned, but VISUALLY IDENTIFYING the architectural or spatial components of infrastructure that are potential causes for an "anti-human" environment. I don't know if this is your passion at all, but diagramming the residual space as it is currently (unused, wasteful, underdeveloped, etc.) and what conditions it has that could be used for a people-friendly space. Remember you have a unique perspective on this as an architecture student, so use that to your advantage with collecting, analyzing, and reinterpreting information! Best of luck, Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment